Saturday, January 18, 2014


The Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) is defined as; “A situation in which a seemingly healthy infant, usually between 2 and 6 months old, suddenly stops breathing and dies unexpectedly while asleep (Berger Text pg.5).”  This is meaning full to me due to the impact it has on families across the globe. Unfortunately, many families experience this terrible tragedy and are trying to find answers. On the contrary, there has been a reduction in SIDS due to parents being taught to put babies on their backs to sleep; instead of letting them sleep on their stomachs. Therapist are encouraging parents to have tummy time with their children to strengthen their muscles to fight SIDS. According to Berger, SIDS has reduced in the U.S and Canada but not decreasing as much in New Zealand. There are other factors such as low birth weights, brain abnormalities, soft pillows and blankets and cigarette smoking in the home.

Susan Beal did a study about SIDS deaths in South Australia, finding a correlation between lab skin blankets and smoking (the mother). She also discovered that European babies died from SIDS than babies of Asian descent. She came to the conclusion that Asian families placed their babies on their backs to sleep; thus sleep pattern theory was developed. Personally, I used to work for a program that taught first time parents the importance of infants sleeping on their backs. This information from Susan Beal gave me more information of the research behind infants sleeping on their backs. When I had my first child I was told to have her sleep on her back as well, while being wrapped up tightly. I also had my child use a pacifier; in which also reduces the risk of SIDS. I will continue my research on SIDS in the future, hopefully it will continue to decrease.

 

Reference:

Berger, Text pg. 5

 

3 comments:

  1. hello this Temika I am in your group I was trying to see your blog but not able can you let me know how I can get to your blog please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ta'Shanae
    The topic you pick is vital and I always had wanted to know about SIDS. This is also a vital topic to know about because infant cannot talk they relies on adults. I would like to ask you a question have you ever came in contact with a mother who might has experience this in her on personal life?.I know this is not easy to deal with I believe that women should be educated on this an attend a workshops so they can use different strategies to cope with this tragedy. I agree with what you had mention in your paper how it is vital for womens to were told to have therapist and encouraging parents to have tummy time with their children to toughen their muscles to fight SIDS. This something new to me I have not heard of this, but we live to learned something new. We as educators need to make sure we stay current so we can be better to help our families effectively. I have enjoyed your post very informative.
    Temika McCann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Temika,
    Unfortunately, I have come in contact with a client that had lost a baby girl to SIDS at 8months of age. The parents of course were devastated and having a hard time dealing with the loss. They were very protective over their next child due to their terrifying experience. Yes, I agree that we all need to be educated to this and teach others of SIDS and ways to decrease the risk. Thanks for your post.
    Ta'Shanae
    Ta'Shanae

    ReplyDelete